Wednesday, January 14, 2009

MIT moving away from large lecture halls

A really cool discussion going out there on Slashdot.
Check it out.

Some of the comments :

1. Not surprisingly, some of the TAs were far better educators than the professors they worked for.

2. Social Co-existance? Why in God's name would you need to learn that at college? Those are life skills, and can be learned in *drumroll* life. Sure, college is a great place to do that, but I would not say the social attributes gained in college translate 100% to working life, more like 50% or less. There is a lot of stuff kids do in college that would get you fired in a heartbeat at a real honest to goodness job.

3.
Yes and no. If you're looking for a lot of individual time and supervision, no, a big school is not the place to go.

But if you're looking for great resources and opportunities, then a big school is far superiour. I jumped into a graduate research lab my junior year for credit, experience, and references that were a huge benefit to me, and that sort of opportunity was impossible for me at the smaller school where I'd spent my first two years.

4. Where will students go to take their afternoon naps now?

No comments: