Sunday, July 22, 2007

Uploading videos from my Sony Handycam to Youtube

How to upload videos from my/your Sony HCR36-E handycam/camcorder to Youtube :

Well, you can upload them to Google Videos as well since it doesn't put any constraint
on the video size or duration unlike Youtube.

Anyway, once you have transferred video from your cam to the PC, you will
notice that it is in avi format. And a clip of around 3 minutes will take almost 1 GB
on your disk. Ok, forget that for a moment. Your first concern should be to edit
your video. For doing that I use VirtualDub. Just select the unwanted frames
and press the delete key. Then from the file menu, select "Save as AVI".

Having trimmed your movie you would like to compress it so that you can
send it to your Gmail account(I mention Gmail since it gives you the largest
attachment size - 20MB- as of today), or transfer it online quickly.

Earlier I used to use VLC(by using its wizard option)for converting avi to mpg,
but many a times the conversions were not foolproof. At times I got only the
audio part of the original. While some times the Youtube rejected the video
saying it was too long, even though it was well within its 100MB/10 minutes
limit.

Then I started using Super, which is free of the above-mentioned problems
till now.
Select the following options :

output container : mpg (Mpeg I)
output video codec : MPEG-I
output audio codec : mp3


Drag and drop the input file and click Encode(active files).
And that's it. happy uploading/emailing.
Btw, here are my videos : http://youtube.com/dharm0us

No comments: